Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems benefit indoor air quality and temperature in residential and commercial properties. HVAC systems can improve comfort, reduce energy costs, and filter pollutants for easier to breathe air. Explore common HVAC systems, convenience features, and how technology can benefit the future of energy use.
Poor Outdoor Air Quality
Poor air quality has hit close to home. The wildfire smoke coming from eastern Canada this summer has impacted Pennsylvania. It could be a contributing factor to the increased daily levels of fine particulate matter in the air.
Wildfire smoke presents challenges to public health. A Code Red or Purple Air Quality Index (AQI) could impact young children, elderly, and those with breathing issues. These individuals may be vulnerable to the harmful effects of air pollution during air quality alerts. And we’ve seen plenty of those air quality levels reported over the last couple of months.
The United States has successfully implemented several federal laws to regulate air emissions. The Clean Air Act helps protect and improve outdoor air. Local health departments also provide resources to track and monitor air quality.
Residents can monitor the air quality in their area daily. The Department of Environmental Protection advises at-risk groups to avoid outdoor activities during Code Red or Purple air quality alerts.
Breathe Easier Indoors
Air pollution is responsible for around 7 million premature deaths globally every year. Outdoor air pollution has a substantial impact, but poor indoor air quality may also be a factor.
Advancements in HVAC systems are helping people breathe easier indoors. Heating and cooling systems are energy efficient, clean the air, and integrate with smart home devices. Split, hybrid, packaged heating and cooling, and duct-free HVAC systems are helping to improve indoor air.
Types of HVAC Systems
HVAC systems are a worthwhile investment for a home or business. A company specializing in heating and cooling can direct you toward the best option for your home.
There are four basic categories of HVAC systems. Each offers unique benefits.
Most homes in the United States have split systems. Pennsylvania is no exception.
The features and benefits of split systems include:
- Dual Units: Split systems use indoor and outdoor components to heat and cool a home to a desired temperature. The two separate units circulate warm or cool air through indoor space using ductwork.
- Temperature control: HVAC system AC refrigerants absorb heat from their surroundings to cool and dehumidify incoming air. Set a heating and cooling schedule with a programmable thermostat. Certain split systems may also integrate with smart thermostats for personalized humidity and temperature control.
- Air Filtration: Split systems filter out pollutants and allergens, making indoor air cleaner and healthier to breathe. Some split systems include filtration features, like UV lights to kill airborne bacteria and viruses. These features help provide clean and healthy indoor air.
- Energy Efficiency: Split systems can lower utility bills. They can provide heating and cooling exclusively to rooms in use. Larger homes with multiple rooms can benefit from their use.
- Easy installation: An HVAC professional can quickly install a split system based on the requirements of a property or home’s floor plan.
Split systems can provide a great return on investment. They are an energy-efficient, customized HVAC solution with air filtration benefits. They can save homeowners money on utility bills and provide clean, healthy indoor air.
Hybrid HVAC Systems
Hybrid HVAC systems switch between gas and electric power sources. Homes with forced air can benefit from choosing a hybrid HVAC system. They offer an eco-friendly, cost-effective way to heat and cool room space.
Most hybrid systems are easy to install and use less energy than a traditional HVAC system. A hybrid heating system can save a homeowner 30 to 50 percent annually on energy costs. They are an ideal solution for people looking to cut back on gas and electric utility bill spending.
Packaged Heating and Cooling Units
These all-in-one systems eliminate the need for separate setups. The compact design of packaged units makes them simpler to maintain. No matter the weather outside, these units can provide climate control and comfortable room temperatures year-round.
In addition to their user-friendly features, many packaged heating and cooling units are compatible with smart home technology. They can integrate into an existing home automation system to improve energy use and comfort.
Duct-Free Split Systems
Duct-free split systems eliminate energy loss from leaky ductwork. They are perfect for lowering long-term home heating and cooling expenses.
For businesses, duct-free split systems can provide an even temperature to improve efficiency.
The Future of HVAC Systems
Technology is revolutionizing products in many industries, including home automation, according to Harvard Business Review. Connected devices with thermostat monitoring, as well as temperature and maintenance controls, are helping to improve energy efficiency.
Mobile apps compatible with smartphones and tablets help users adjust indoor temperature from anywhere on smart thermostats. This convenience feature provides flexibility for heating and cooling your home. Smart thermostat sensors also adjust the temperature to save on energy use.
Smart home devices may elevate how we engage with and control airflow and temperature. Predictive maintenance alerts could maximize the life of HVAC units. These unique features could lead to fewer repairs and lower energy bills in the future.
Improve Indoor Air Quality with an HVAC System
Indoor air quality can affect your health and comfort. HVAC systems regulate temperature, humidity, and ventilation in residential and commercial buildings. They also help filter allergens and pollutants from indoor air.
To enhance indoor air, consider the following action items:
- Hire a skilled HVAC technician for regular maintenance checks to help reduce energy costs and extend the life of an HVAC system. HVAC system inspections can also help identify potential repairs or operating issues that affect performance.
- Schedule routine furnace and AC unit maintenance. During regular tune-ups, an HVAC professional can check for refrigerant leaks, leaking ducts, and dirty or damaged coils.
- Hire a professional to replace an old thermostat.
- Move items blocking vents or registers to improve airflow.
- Check and change dirty air filters regularly.
- Choose an HVAC system with a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter. HEPA filters help remove airborne allergens, volatile organic compounds, dust, and smoke particles.
- Invest in indoor air cleaning products. These include air filtration systems, air purifiers, and dehumidifiers. A dehumidifier can keep humidity levels low and reduce the risk of mold growth inside a home or commercial property.
Indoor air can affect your health and comfort. Investing in an HVAC system can help improve air quality. These action steps can help you breathe indoor air easier.
Find the Right HVAC System
We’re here to help you find the right HVAC system. Consider factors such as budget, property size, and building type. Explore these HVAC articles and consult a professional HVAC installation contractor for guidance on the best option for your needs.
- Indoor Environmental Quality Tips for Fresh Air
- Replace AC: A Comprehensive Guide for Property Owners and Managers
- The Complete Guide to Choosing an HVAC System for Your Business
- Comfortmaker Heating and Cooling Systems
When you’ve decided on the right system for your property, a certified HVAC contractor can efficiently install and/or replace your unit. A contractor will have access to the necessary tools and expertise required to ensure that the job is done right. Plus, they can also provide you with a warranty on the installation service and system, giving you peace of mind that your property will be safe and comfortable for years to come.
Service and Installation for HVAC Systems
JDC Heating & Cooling provides a full range of residential and commercial HVAC services in Pittsburgh and the surrounding area. We will help you find the right HVAC system for your home or business. We’ll install it and stay on top of regular maintenance for peak performance.
Book an appointment today and start breathing easier!